Subject: Re: IIfx Help
To: @-- ReeD ->- <reed@mork.uni.uiuc.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1997 13:49:33

> 	Hello everybody! I have a Macintosh IIsi which I have been
> running NetBSD on for over a year now, and it works quite nicely (outside
> of the fact that there is no color X, or ansi colored text...) Anyways, I
> just recently got a friends IIfx with an Apple graphics accelerator card.
> I tried to boot NetBSD on the IIfx, and it didn't work. Perhaps this is a
> problem due to the fact that on my IIsi I installed NetBSD onto an
> external; hard disk, which I run off of. When I got the IIfx, I simply
> unplugged the external hard drive from my IIsi and into my IIfx... Would
> this cause a problem, since it was configured for a IIsi? Just a guess...
> When I boot up in 32-bit mode in b/w mode, it gets past the booter,
> clears the screen, but then says the following:
>
> 	no internal video at address 0 -- videoaddr is 0xf9900020.
> 	panic: Unknown/unsupported machine class.
> 	Stopped at	_Debugger+0x6:  unlk     a6
> 	db>
>
> Any ideas what's wrong?

It's a IIfx.

The problem is that Apple never documented the IO Processors which
were supposed to make the IIfx blaze. So we don't know how to do much
of anything with it.

Since the Q900 and Q950 use the same IOP's, and the NetBSD/mac68k frontier
is getting near there, some folks have been trying to hack on them.

If you can (or are interested in learning how to) hack on the OS, you
might be in a good position to help. To really port to a new machine,
you need the machine, and a machine which you can use for development.
Your IIsi could serve as a development platform.. :-)

Take care,

Bill