Subject: Re: named .rev format ??
To: None <a.fowler@ic.ac.uk>
From: Don Woodward Jr. <dbwoodw@earthlink.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1997 18:01:45
On Mon, 3 Mar 1997 a.fowler@ic.ac.uk wrote:

> Hi again list!
>
> I've got netbsd up and running on my IIcx, after much sweat and tears,
> and now i'm stumped on named.
>
> It works fine from all machines in my network when i specify a name,
> ie:
>
> nslookup crowley.styx.helian  returns -> machine = 193.1.2.2
>
> but if I type
>
> nslookup 193.1.2.2 returns -> machine does not exist.
>
> my named.boot file has an entry like
>
> primary 1.193.IN-ADDR.ARPN hellhosts.rev
> (or similar)

try:

primary 2.1.193.IN-ADDR.ARPA hellhosts.rev

and the standard stuff.

> but I can't seem to get it to reverse map the names. Is there a special
> type I missed from the manpage, or do i have to specify some wierd
> option to the booter or something.
>
> should my lines be diferent from this one??
>
> crowley.styx.helian.	A	193.1.2.2

helilhosts.rev should contain records like:

2   IN PTR crowley.styx.helian.uk.

Of course you need the standard stuff also.

> or is there a named faq on the internet somewhere??
>
> 	Ta,	Andrew.

Try:

ftp://rtfm.mit.edu/pub/usenet/news.answers/internet/tcp-ip/domains-faq

|  dbwoodw@earthlink.net      |
|  dwood1@surfair.com         |
|  webmaster@surfair.com      |
|  webmaster@realtimeplm.com  |