Subject: NetBSD testimonials (was Re: Some impressions...)
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Kelvin Chu <chu@lawyer.lanl.gov>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1997 10:22:02
Since this *is* the .misc mailing list, I thought I'd add my testimonial
to the pile.

Under the circumstances (i.e. free distribution and people with real lives
working on the coding in their spare time), I couldn't be more pleased with
NetBSD1.2.  I'm running the generic distribution on a MacIIsi, and I'm
extremely happy with it.   The distribution extracts, works and runs
basically, "out-of-the-box."  If one bothers to read the FAQ (highly
recommended) one can even avoid asking, well, FAQs.  The developers are
helpful; I've written to several of them off of the list, and the responses
have been useful and helpful.

The one thing that makes me very happy, PARTICULARLY in comparison to other
Un*xy releases for the Mac 68k platform is that there *IS* documentation
for NetBSD, and the people who are doing the development are pleasant
to deal with.   They don't seem to be ego-driven coders with a huge chip on
their shoulders.

On a side note, someone asked earlier if this newslist could be distributed
in a 'digest' format.  I'd support such an option: those of us who want to
read everything for the .misc list, but not in a play-by-play format would
appreciate it.  I suppose one could just ftp the new archive files from

      ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/mailing-lists/port-mac68k

but it would be cooler if whatever script is archiving these letters would
just send off the new file everytime it reached the requisite size (~50Kb).
If this is an option, I vote 'yes'.

Cheers and all that.  --k

--
  Kelvin Chu                                         Office: 1.505.665.1983
  P-21, MS-D454			                        Lab:          .6239