Subject: Re: Some impressions of the NetBSD Mac port...
To: Curtis Smith <oilpaint@halcyon.com>
From: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/03/1997 04:15:10
On Sun, 2 Mar 1997, Curtis Smith wrote:
> The basic quest should be for stability in the system. I experienced
> random drops into the debugger, segmentation errors, random freezes and
> a few really wierd problems such as logining in as a user and getting a
> quazi-root connection that only power down could clear.

FWIW, I've got a Centris 660av that stands up well to moderate use (and
I've never done anything heavy-duty on it, so it may handle that just fine
too). Occasionally, it'll hang during the boot process, but once it gets
booted, it'll stay up just fine; I've had a week of uptime before
rebooting to try a new kernel (yeah, I know a week isn't actually
impressive for unix...  :)

> For now, I'm pulling out an old '386 and using Linux, as NetBSD is not
> stable enough, in my opinion, for even basic or casual use.

Hmm, I don't think it's fair to compare a Mac to a PC clone... The
internal workings of a Mac are very poorly documented; it's quite an
accomplishment to get a new OS running on the Mac without any support from
Apple. On the other hand, it's easy to find detailed low-level info on PC
clones... I'm running NetBSD on an old 386 PC, and find it to be quite
stable; I doubt if it's any less stable than Linux.

Dahan: Hani G Y+C 21 Y++ L+++ W- C++ T++ A+ E+ S++ V++ F- Q+++ P+ B+ PA+ PL++