Subject: Re: Some impressions of the NetBSD Mac port...
To: Curtis Smith <oilpaint@halcyon.com>
From: Greg Evans <gevans@televar.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/02/1997 21:12:00
Curtis Smith wrote:

> I should preface this by saying I'm sure that a lot of hard work has
> been done my a lot of people to get the port this far.
>
> I have been trying fot the last three weeks to run BSD on both a MacIIx
> and an LC II. And have tried 1.2, generic-77, and generic-78. Booted
> from systems 7.5, 7.5.3, and 7.5.5. Used booters 1.9.4 and 1.9.6.
>
> The basic quest should be for stability in the system. I experienced
> random drops into the debugger, segmentation errors, random freezes and
> a few really wierd problems such as logining in as a user and getting a
> quazi-root connection that only power down could clear.
>
> For now, I'm pulling out an old '386 and using Linux, as NetBSD is not
> stable enough, in my opinion, for even basic or casual use.
>
> Curtis Smith

In all fairness I must say that I too had difficulties for a while
installing and running NetBSD.  However, thanks to all the great people
on this list I was able to discover the problems (which incedentally
ended up being my own fault) and correct them.

Because of the reliability of the help that I received on this list, I
now have a 100% functional (or at least I think so...I'm no Un*x guru)
system including X.  I have not expereinced a single problem described
above, and this is on a Quadra 610, currently running the Madhatter#35
kernel.

I am sorry to see that you were not able to get it up and running, as it
is so far, the easiest system that I have tried, including PC Linux
(which I am still struggling with at work after 2 weeks).

Regards,

Greg Evans