Subject: Re: Some impressions of the NetBSD Mac port...
To: Curtis Smith <oilpaint@halcyon.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/02/1997 18:15:07
> I should preface this by saying I'm sure that a lot of hard work has
> been done my a lot of people to get the port this far.
>
> I have been trying fot the last three weeks to run BSD on both a MacIIx
> and an LC II. And have tried 1.2, generic-77, and generic-78. Booted
> from systems 7.5, 7.5.3, and 7.5.5. Used booters 1.9.4 and 1.9.6.
>
> The basic quest should be for stability in the system. I experienced
> random drops into the debugger, segmentation errors, random freezes and
> a few really wierd problems such as logining in as a user and getting a
> quazi-root connection that only power down could clear.
>
> For now, I'm pulling out an old '386 and using Linux, as NetBSD is not
> stable enough, in my opinion, for even basic or casual use.

My, you sure do know how to make friends.

I am not experiencing any of the difficulties you describe, nor are
a number of other users. The IIx should have had no problems as NetBSD
has been running on it for many years. I'm not sure of the status for
the LC II, but it should be fine for serial console work.

I personally have been running NetBSD on my IIsi for almost two years,
and I find it stable-enough for more than casual use. I have found it
sufficiently stable to port Netatalk to NetBSD in general. I have also
found it sufficiently stable to develop new drivers on it (as opposed
to having to use a seperate system for development).

As this is a volinteer project, you get what you pay for. Though the
only known, glaring bug is the LC040 incompatability (which I think
affects neither of the machines you describe). Though I am sorry you
encountered the problems you describe, they sound to me like they
result from a damaged installation rather than errors in the underlying
code. So please be careful about blaming NetBSD for problems more
likely due to a corrupted file system. The only time I have had weird
problems were when some of my programs were damaged. A partial
re-installation fixed the problem.

I think I'll stop here.

Take care,

Bill