Subject: Re: couple questions
To: Brian N. Pacula <bpacula@value.net>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/02/1997 15:13:15

> What exactly is the format for /etc/passwd entries? The preexisting users
> in the NetBSD installation seem to have two more fields than the example
> given by my reference books.

man 5 passwd will tell you all.

> This confusion may be a part of the second question I had - if I have a
> file owned by user1, and if, as root, I chown that file so that it's
> owned by user2, it STILL is listed as being owned by user1. What's going
> on there?

Either user1 and user2 have the same uid (bad), or some file somewhere
is corrupted. Or something REALLY weird is up.

> Finally, and I already asked this, but when I run the PPP connect script
> from the ppp-setup kit, it dials, and connects, but I get three "Fatal
> signal 11" messages and PPP remains down. Does anyone know what might be
> going wrong? And, do /etc/hosts and /etc/myname need to be changed for a
> PPP connection?

One of your ppp files (one of the programs) might be corrupt. Try re-
installing pppd and chat from the distribution. Also, boot single
user and fsck -f your root partition (the -f means fsck even though
the partition is marked "clean"). If you see errors, it might be time
to reinstall.

Take care,

Bill