Subject: Re: Partitions and superblocks
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Rolf Braun <rbraun@geocities.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/02/1997 17:29:37
>> > One thing to watch out for: if you create MacOS partitions, you must
>> > unmount them (drag 'em to the trash) in the Finder BEFORE you run mkfs to
>> > convert them to NetBSD partitions.

>>created to
>> > the Trash to unmount them.
>>
>> Actually, the above is unnecessary, at least in my experience.  It's just
>> a little disturbing to have them still available as Mac volumes when
>> you've just converted them to NetBSD volumes.  I'm fairly sure they're
>> unmounted upon NetBSD boot, so they should be fine when they come up there.
>> I also don't remember having any trouble installing onto them after
>> having run Mkfs on them.

>I think the problem is that MacOS might decide to flush it's cache on the
>file system (that isn't anymore)....

It is definitely a wise idea to unmount the disk before running mkfs, and
it's not much trouble to do. (drag to Trash!)

The problem is actually twofold:

1. The Mac might try to read the newly formatted disk, choke on the NetBSD
filesystem, and crash.
2. The Mac might try to write data to the disk, corrupting the NetBSD
filesystem. The Mac OS cache is an issue here.

- Rolf Braun ... rbraun@geocities.com ... TidalWave on IRC
- Sassy Software: cool stuff for Macintosh & Apple II
- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/3110/
- Help for Mac UNIX questions ... #MacUNIX on EFnet IRC