Subject: Re: Partitions and superblocks
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@CompuServe.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/02/1997 15:16:00
>I also saw your note about the partitions coming up as sdXb and sdXg.
>The problem there is that there is NO RELATION between partition ordering
>in the partition table and partition letters. The only defined letter
>is partition c*, which is the whole drive partition. *On port-i386 only,
>partition d is the whole disk, and partition c is the NetBSD partition on
>the disk which is further subdivided into a, b, e, f, g, and h.
>
>Traditionally, "a" was the root partition, "b" the swap, and "g" the
>/usr partition. But if you have no such partitions, the current
>disklabel code will fit the partitions in somewhere. That's why one usr
>got g and the other b.

Well this explains a lot.  I was working under the assumption that the
device partition assignment followed the same logical order as the device
assignment.  This clears up a bit of advice Colin Wood gave me a while
back when I was trying to mount my cdrom drive.  He advised me to mount
/dev/cd0c.  I looked in /dev, saw there was a cd0a, and mounted that one
instead.  Seems to work, but I think I will try cd0c and see what happens.

Thanks,

Sean.

T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com
TSSchulze@aol.com
theodore.schulze@metronet.de

Hope is not a course of action.  (But prayer is a combat multiplier.)