Subject: Re: Sick of PPP questions yet?
To: Tim Schmidt <rad@wco.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/02/1997 10:45:48

> Sorry, but I've decided to give PPP a try myself... unsuccessfully.
>
> My setup:  IIsi, 17M, NetBSD 1.2, generic kernel, Intel 14.4 modem.
>
> I used Bill Studenmund's PPP kit, with extra help from Mark Andres'
> instructions.  I *think* I have everything set right.

[snip]

> However, nothing happens.  The modem, far as I can tell, is never touched.
>
> Notice how the chat pid is 33 higher than the first ppp-related one?  That's
> because every few seconds a new process replaces the old one, and I get
> one entry of:
>
> Opening "/tmp/ppp-report"...
> Closing "/tmp/ppp-report".
>
> in /tmp/ppp-report for every process.  No idea why.  I've got "debug kdebug 1"
> set, which is supposed to send error messages to syslogd, type daemon, level
> debug.  So I added daemon.debug to syslog.conf and told it what file to write
> to.  Only thing relevant I got was:
>
> Mar  1 19:35:02 tiger pppd[100]: pppd 2.3.0 started by root, uid 0
>
> ...which is exactly what I got at the command line.

As Steve and Paul mentioned, it sounds like chat is dying quickly. Try
Paul's suggestion about adding -v to chat, and setting up the error
logging. I think the ppp kit has a debugging version of the file which
calls chat, adding the -v option.

> All files are exactly the same as those in Bill's ppp kit, except that
> options and ppp-login were modified for my ISP account, as required.
>
> I imagine that my dynamic address will cause me problems.. but that's
> later.. I can't even get the modem to dial, yet.  Any suggestions?

Your dynamic address shouldn't cause problems. Those scripts are the
ones I use, and I have a dynamic address.

Take care,

Bill