Subject: Re: PPP - PAP identification. How do I do it?
To: Steven Huwig <S_Huwig@dukes.stark.k12.oh.us>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/01/1997 21:49:43

> Yeah, how do I do it? I've looked at the pppd manpages several times, but I
> don't see much on it. I have a pap-secrets file; what else do I need? My
> pppd dials the number, then times out sending LCP config-requests. I
> *think* this might be my problem; apparently FreePPP does stuff
> automatically that pppd doesn't think to try. How do I make pppd do what
> FreePPP does?

Hmm. I've not done it, but let's see what man pppd has to say.

option login looks bad; that's what the server is doing.

+pap looks bad as that too will require the server to log into you.

This looks good, except for the last lineL
       +ua <p>
              Agree to authenticate using PAP [Password Authenti-
              cation Protocol] if requested by the peer, and  use
              the  data  in file <p> for the user and password to
              send to the peer. The file contains the remote user
              name, followed by a newline, followed by the remote
              password, followed by a newline.   This  option  is
              obsolescent.

and the next one:
       user <u>
              Set  the  user  name to use for authenticating this
              machine with the peer using PAP to <u>.

This gets better:
       A secrets file is parsed into words as for a options file.
       A  secret  is  specified  by  a line containing at least 3
       words, in the order client name, server name, secret.  Any
       following words on the same line are taken to be a list of
       acceptable IP addresses for that  client.   If  there  are
       only  3  words  on  the  line,  it  is assumed that any IP

and then it mentions that the pap secret file should be /etc/ppp/pap-secrets.

       * For  authenticating  ourselves  to  the peer, look for a
         secret with client == our  username,  server  ==  remote
         name.

So off the top of my head, it looks like you need to make sure the
secret file is /etc/ppp/pap-sectrets, set the user name as above,
and wild card the remote host.

Note: be careful that ppp doesn't pick the wrong default name. It
looks like it might pick the host name, which isn't good for a
dynamic login.

Good luck,

Bill