Subject: Re: Partitions and superblocks
To: T. Sean <71410.25@compuserve.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/01/1997 21:34:47
> >1. You really should have created A/UX partitions, not MacOS partitions.
>
> Well, I'm not sure how I would have done that.  FWD HD ToolKit allows
> only a number of options.  Granted, "Custom" is one of the options, but
> mkfs 1.4 is also supposed to be able to make ufs filesystems out of MacOS
> partitions.  So why not make two equal MacOS partitions, and then change
> them using mkfs?  Is there a difference between MacOS partitions and A/UX
> partitions that is significant to what I am trying to do?

mkfs 1.4 is the first version of mkfs which is capable of changing partition
types. It has been released since NetBSD 1.2 came out.

What you did is fine.

I also saw your note about the partitions coming up as sdXb and sdXg.
The problem there is that there is NO RELATION between partition ordering
in the partition table and partition letters. The only defined letter
is partition c*, which is the whole drive partition. *On port-i386 only,
partition d is the whole disk, and partition c is the NetBSD partition on
the disk which is further subdivided into a, b, e, f, g, and h.

Traditionally, "a" was the root partition, "b" the swap, and "g" the
/usr partition. But if you have no such partitions, the current
disklabel code will fit the partitions in somewhere. That's why one usr
got g and the other b.

Hope this helps.

Take care,

Bill