Subject: Re: Partitions and superblocks
To: T. Sean <71410.25@CompuServe.COM>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/01/1997 17:37:16
> In the last week I acquired a Quantum Maverick 540MB HD which I
> partitioned into two equal MacOS partitions using FWB HD Tool Kit.  I
> then ran mkfs 1.4 on the partitions to change them to NetBSD usr
> filesystems and then formatted them. (Did I do this backwards?) I
> "cpout"'d my fstab and changed it to reflect the two new partitions.
> Specifically, my old fstab read:
>
> /dev/sd1a  /  ufs  rw  1  1
> /dev/sd1b  none    swap    sw  0  0
> kern       /kern   kernfs  rw  0  0
> proc       /proc   procfs  rw  0  0
>
> I changed it to read:
>
> /dev/sd1a  /  ufs  rw  1  1
> /dev/sd1b  none    swap    sw  0  0
> /dev/sd2a  /order  ufs     rw  1  2
> /dev/sd2b  /chaos  ufs     rw  1  3

Oops, try again on the partitions you choose...see below...

> kern       /kern   kernfs  rw  0  0
> proc       /proc   procfs  rw  0  0
>

> When I booted single user and run "fsck -f", I get an error message that
> /dev/sd2a has "BAD SUPERBLOCKS : MAGIC NUMBER IS WRONG. /dev/sd2b checks
> out clean. Thinking that perhaps the first area of the disk is reserved
> for the driver, etc. I changed sd2a to sd2b and sd2b to sd2c.  When I ran
> fsck on this, sd2b checked clean, but sd2c had the bad superblocks.
>
> Any advice on how I can get this disk up and running with two partitions
> on it?  I've been through the "red book" and the man pages on fsck, newfs
> and dislabel; did I miss something?

When you create additional usr type partitions, they are _not_ sdXa or
sdXb.  The sdXa partition is for root or root&usr partitions only I
believe.  The sdXb partition is always for swap (I think).  The sdXc
partition is access to the raw disk itself.  So, that leaves sdXd, sdXe,
sdXf, sdXg, and sdXh to put any usr type partitions on.  However,
there are also to Mac partitions, the Partition Map and the Driver
Partition which usually take up sdXd and sdXe, so the chances are your
partitions are on sdXf and sdXg.  You'll probably want to do a

disklabel sd2

just to be sure that they are on f and g.

I hope this helps some.

Later.