Subject: Re: LC 475 (technical)
To: Steven Campbell <campbel@istar.ca>
From: Rolf Braun <rbraun@geocities.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/01/1997 16:52:52
>My particular LC 475 has a 68040RC, and 8 MB RAM, a 16 MB root partition
>(sd0a), 25 MB swap partition (sd0b), and it has a 270 MB /usr (sd3g). I am
>booting it with GENERICSBC-24. I boot the 475 with a serial console, and i
>can see the console output as it boots. One line that it get reads -- mrg:
>kernel has no ROM vectors for this machine. Now, i've checked fairly recent
>machdep.c files in kernel sources, and it certainly does have the vectors
>for ROM Toolbox calls on this machine, and I have verified those vectors
>myself. Why would it say this? Every other command I can run on this
>machine works.  I have tried compiling stuff.  The only things that don't
>work are the ADB system and the video.
>Could someone give me the status of video for the LC III, and status of
>machines with the Cuda ADB chip, such as Q840AV, LC 630, and others?  I'm
>just wondering about the peculiarities of the LC 475/Q605/LC 575 lines of
>machines. Even just as a serial console only machine, this machine makes a
>great UN*X machine, and I'd like to make it better.
>
>Thanks for your thoughts or input,
>Steven Campbell
>
>"Don't teach a pig to sing.  It wastes your time, and it irritates the pig."
>Fortune Magazine, Feb. 1997.

status of machines, as far as I know, that'll work with GENERICSBC-24

Q840AV: done
Q630: done, but the internal IDE HD isn't supported (external SCSI disk needed)
LC630: done, except for LC040 support (will work with a real FPU) and IDE
LC575: done, except for LC040 support
LC III: done
LC475/Q605: serial console only, waiting on LC040 support as well

The Cuda chip stuff is done. However, I don't know if this was done through
hardware access or Mac ROM Glue. If it's the latter, there could be a few
machines left (eg, the LC475/Q605) which still need a serial console.

I have heard of plenty of problems with the LC475/Q605 under NetBSD. Note,
however, that the LC575 is a totally different design. As far as I know
(anyone want to correct me on this?) it works, but the LC040 support is
still missing.

- Rolf Braun ... rbraun@geocities.com ... TidalWave on IRC
- Sassy Software: cool stuff for Macintosh & Apple II
- http://www.geocities.com/SiliconValley/Heights/3110/
- Help for Mac UNIX questions ... #MacUNIX on EFnet IRC