Subject: Partitions and superblocks
To: None <PORT-MAC68K@NetBSD.ORG>
From: T. Sean (Theo) Schulze <71410.25@CompuServe.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/01/1997 16:40:00
In the last week I acquired a Quantum Maverick 540MB HD which I
partitioned into two equal MacOS partitions using FWB HD Tool Kit.  I
then ran mkfs 1.4 on the partitions to change them to NetBSD usr
filesystems and then formatted them. (Did I do this backwards?) I
"cpout"'d my fstab and changed it to reflect the two new partitions.
Specifically, my old fstab read:

/dev/sd1a  /  ufs  rw  1  1
/dev/sd1b  none    swap    sw  0  0
kern       /kern   kernfs  rw  0  0
proc       /proc   procfs  rw  0  0

I changed it to read:

/dev/sd1a  /  ufs  rw  1  1
/dev/sd1b  none    swap    sw  0  0
/dev/sd2a  /order  ufs     rw  1  2
/dev/sd2b  /chaos  ufs     rw  1  3
kern       /kern   kernfs  rw  0  0
proc       /proc   procfs  rw  0  0

When I booted single user and run "fsck -f", I get an error message that
/dev/sd2a has "BAD SUPERBLOCKS : MAGIC NUMBER IS WRONG. /dev/sd2b checks
out clean. Thinking that perhaps the first area of the disk is reserved
for the driver, etc. I changed sd2a to sd2b and sd2b to sd2c.  When I ran
fsck on this, sd2b checked clean, but sd2c had the bad superblocks.

Any advice on how I can get this disk up and running with two partitions
on it?  I've been through the "red book" and the man pages on fsck, newfs
and dislabel; did I miss something?

(You've probably figured this out, but sd0 is my MacOS drive)

TIA,

Sean.

                 T. Sean (Theo) Schulze
71410.25@compuserve.com           TSSchulze@aol.com
                 tsschulze@t-online.de
Your representative owes you, not his industry only, but
his judgement; and he betrays, instead of serving you, if
he sacrifices it to your opinion. -- Edmund Burke