Subject: Re: ae0 error message
To: Michael Kahn <kahn@osler.wustl.edu>
From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/01/1997 14:04:34
> I've installed the current-970214 snapshots and GENERICSBC-24 kernel.
> I configured my network configurations following the great graphics
> supplied by H. B. Hotz.  I now am getting an error on booting:
>
> ae0: length does not match next packet pointer.
>
> Appended below is the full boot sequence.  Ping seems to work, but no
> other network services work.
>
> Any ideas?

> Feb 25 12:57:32 mgk /netbsd: ae0 at nubus0: address 00:00:c5:30:1f:33, type Farallon EtherWave Nubus, 32KB memory
> Feb 25 12:57:32 mgk /netbsd: ae0: length does not match next packet pointer
> Feb 25 12:57:32 mgk /netbsd: ae0: len 0000 nlen ff00 start 0c first 00 curr 33 next 00 stop 80
> Feb 25 12:57:32 mgk /netbsd: ae0: NIC memory corrupt - invalid packet length 65280

The above _should_ be completely harmless.  If you boot your Mac without
extensions, these messages will probably go away (as Bill noted, the
MacOS networking stuff appears to make a mess).

If you can only get ping to work, what are you pinging?  What does
netstat -r show?  What kind of error messages are you getting when you
try other TCP/IP services (like telnet, ftp, etc)???

At the moment, my guess would be that you don't quite have a route set up
yet, but without more info, I can't tell.

Later.