Subject: fsck does not like me.
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Benoit MARTEL <magus@cs.mcgill.ca>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 03/01/1997 13:09:02
Hi,
I'm a new user of NetBSD so I apologize in advance in case I'm stupid.

I installed an "out-of-the-box" binary distribution of NetBSD1.2 on my
MacIIvx. It seemed to work quite well because I was able to download,
recompile and install dt, bash and perl and they worked.

Then one day, I unsuspectedly boot in NetBSD to find /bin/sh is shot. I
booted in single user and specified /usr/local/bin/bash as my shell
(thank god) and ran fsck. I lost 14 files in /bin (sh,mkdir,ln,stty,...).
I recovered those files from the distribution tar files. The last time I
used the computer I had shut it down using "halt" and powered off when
told the system was down. Is that an improper way of shuting down (I've
always used it under Linux)?

Unfortunatly, it seems it may be worse. Now, when I run fsck again, I get
the error "/dev/rsd0a: CANNOT READ: BLK <nnnnnn>" <nnnnnn> being a
number. I ran fsck many times and about half the time, it was successful
and the other half, it gave the above error msg with a different number
each time.

I feel somewhat unsafe using the system as it is now (but I will because
I need to do some work). What should I do to "recover" properly from this
strange situation? At worst I can backup my personal files and reinstall
everything. And what did I do wrong so I can be careful for it not to
happen again?

Any help appreciated.

Ben.
Because user errors often produce unpredictable results, the user
should try to avoid them.

IBM MVS/XA System Programming Library.