Subject: Re: FTP Help...
To: Mamoru Yamanishi <yama@biotech.okayama-u.ac.jp>
From: synapse <synapse@gim.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/28/1997 22:58:58
>I also work with NetBSD1.2 on IIci.  On my environment, "ftpd" allow
>the accewss as non anonymous FTP without further settings.  It may be
>require specific settings to allow anonymous FTP, but I have not tried.

sure you can do anonymous with the stock ftpd.
the process involves creating a new user "ftp" and setting it's home
directory to the root directory of the anonymous ftp server. in that
directory, you can create a pub, etc, bin, etc....be sure to put ls in the
bin directory.
you also have to make sure that the user has a valid shell (i.e. their
shell is listed in /etc/shells) and also their userid is *NOT* in
/etc/ftpchroot
i advise you to tinker around a bit with a non-root user (like, make one)
other than the ftp account until you get that working. root is not allowed
to log in from places other than the console unless you change the options
in /etc/ttys, and i think this follows through with ftp. be careful with
the the permissions of the ftp account's homedir, as these might lead to
quick unsuccessful attempts :)
i got it working on my machine, so feel free to ask q's if you can't run it.
  - a