Subject: Re: pppd woes.
To: None <jfron@coewl.cen.uiuc.edu>
From: Masami and Ken Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/28/1997 18:28:45
On Fri, 28 Feb 1997 02:38:05 -0600 (CST),
jfron <jfron@coewl.cen.uiuc.edu> wrote:
> I'm unclear as to precisely what pppd is supposed to handle.
> What i have so far is the ppp-setup with my stuff put in (modem init
> string, phone #, username, etc...)
> and the send/receive pairs for my dialup in the chat script
> (ie.  "sername:" $LOGIN "assword:" $PASSWD ">" "ppp default")
>
> i *appear* to be getting a valid connection with the modem.  i hear
> CARRIER, and watch as the CD LED lights up, followed by very minimal
> TX/RX activity.  standard.  i'm almost positive the connection goes all
> the way throught the chat script, because the termserver i dial into will
> auto-disconnect any dialup with no successful login.  this has not been
> the case.

Sounds good, so far.

> however, i still cannot send/receive packets.  ping 128.174.5.62 returns
> 0%, with "no route to host"
> i cannot permanantly set a defaultroute, because there are multiple dialup
> termservers on one line.

I'm not entirely sure what you mean by "cannot permanently set a
defaultroute", but giving the "defaultroute" option to pppd doesn't
mean you are setting up a permanent default router.  It means the
opposite side of the connection becomes your default router when PPP
connection is established (and it's gone when the connection goes
down).  This "default router" is necessary for any packet to go out to
the Net.

Ken