Subject: Re: FTP Help...
To: Elliott <elliott@silcon.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/28/1997 14:26:31

> I currently have a IIci runnning NetBSD 1.2 with no problems to speak of.
> :)  (Thanks to everyone who replyed to my inital help questions!)  The
> only thing I am trying to figure out and not having much success is FTP.
> I would like to allow FTP access to my box (At least my account) but
> don't know how to setup that access.  Right now, it tells me "User access
> denied" (Or some variant thereof)  I am sure there are some permissions
> or settings somewhere that I have failed to setup.  Please let me know
> exactly what I have to have in order for FTP to work privatly.  Many
> thanx in advance!

Two things. One, your shell must be listed in /etc/shells. If it's csh,
you're set. But if you've installed tcsh or ksh, you need to add it to
/etc/shells too. Two, make sure you have enough pty's. The default of four
really isn't enough (though I think you'd get a different error if this
were the problem).

Take care,

Bill