Subject: Re: NetBSD on Mac II
To: Mathias Voell <voell@stud.uni-hannover.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/28/1997 10:53:23
> >have 9 MB in my IIsi at home. And you just don't worry about the
> >computer that ends up with 2 MB memory.
> Of course I won't worry, but propably the new owners will do... But I
> think that we have four 1MB SIMMs at home, which belonged to two LC.

That will work too. :-)

> >Any SCSI disk you add certainly can be moved to another computer later.
> >Plus, if you can aquire two of these things, put both drives in one.
>
> How can I connect a second _internal_ SCSI drive?

You'd need to make a cable. Pull out the cable which connects the
motherboard to the drive. You need to make a cable that looks like
that, but which is longer and has a third plug on it. I'd suggest
keeping the spacing between the motherboard plug and the first external
the same. Also, you need to make sure the plugs you use on the ribbon
cable are connected correctly.  The plug needs to be perpendicular to
the length of the cable, and the contact needs to be good. From my
experience, you should try to get one of the tools made to put plugs on
ribbon cables. I used a machine shop vice, which worked the second
time.

Don't terminate the middle drive, but do terminate the drive at the end of
the cable.

You will also need to get a power splitter cable to take the one power
feed to two. Also check that you don't overload the power supply. But
if you have only a few cards, there should be spare power.

> >Oh, you don't have to upgrade the floppy drive for NetBSD to work on
> >a II.
> I have been told that the floppy upgrade fixes the bug in bank A (in case
> I would like to have more than 8MB to be able to run X)

Why not just put the extra memory in bank B? We have a II with 4x1MB in
bank A, and 4x4MB in bank B. The bug only affected bank A; B didn't care.

Take care,

Bill