Subject: Re: pop (fwd)
To: MacBSD List <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/28/1997 05:52:53
Following up on my own post, I just now tried this with pine 3.95, and
although the documentation (help text) no longer tells you how to do it,
it still works!

If your INBOX is configured to be remote, pine will prompt you for your
login name and password every time you try to open your INBOX.  I don't
know how to make it save this info, or even if it is possible.

There's a couple gotchas:
  1. If you put the wrong password in twice in a row, pine will core dump.
  2. If you use the X command to eXpunge deleted messages, pine will say
     that no messages were expunged.  But they realy are deleted from the
     remote INBOX.
  3. I got an occassional timeout error while reading from my remote
     INBOX.

> Well, go to the main menu, select Setup and then Configure.  Arrow down
> to the inbox entry, and Change it to "{host.domain.name/pop3}INBOX"
> (don't include the quotes, but DO include the braces).  This worked for
> me on pine 3.91 - I haven't tried it lately on 3.95

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:      |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@pgoyette.bdt.com |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com  |