Subject: pppd woes.
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: jfron <jfron@coewl.cen.uiuc.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/28/1997 02:38:05
I'm unclear as to precisely what pppd is supposed to handle.
What i have so far is the ppp-setup with my stuff put in (modem init
string, phone #, username, etc...)
and the send/receive pairs for my dialup in the chat script
(ie.  "sername:" $LOGIN "assword:" $PASSWD ">" "ppp default")

i *appear* to be getting a valid connection with the modem.  i hear
CARRIER, and watch as the CD LED lights up, followed by very minimal
TX/RX activity.  standard.  i'm almost positive the connection goes all
the way throught the chat script, because the termserver i dial into will
auto-disconnect any dialup with no successful login.  this has not been
the case.

however, i still cannot send/receive packets.  ping 128.174.5.62 returns
0%, with "no route to host"
i cannot permanantly set a defaultroute, because there are multiple dialup
termservers on one line.

additionally, (foolish question) how is pppd supposed to respond to a
downed connection?
if the modem is disconnected (manually powercycled, as that is the only
way i can get it to disconnect), it will jump right in and reconnect, ad
infinitum, even if i've ppp-down'ed.

other pertinant info (?) v1.2, GENERICSBC, MacTV68030

thanks (for being patient with me, this really ought not to be as hard as
i'm making it)

--
Jim