Subject: Re: more on pop
To: None <Ingerrn@cris.com>
From: Masami and Ken Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/28/1997 11:53:55
On Thu, 27 Feb 1997 20:31:16 -0500 (EST),
xiamin <Ingerrn@cris.com> wrote:
> i got popclient from ftp.netbsd.org in the amiga section, and i love it!
> now i need someway to be able to send mail with the address
> ingerrn@cris.com instead of root@myname.my.domain so i can post to things
> like the netbsd mailing list and have the proper return
> address...myname.my.domain is the default from /etc/hosts or whereever...i
> cant get the mail...

You can tweak /etc/sendmail.cf a little and run a local sendmail
daemon to do this.  Or you can get a MUA that speaks SMTP itself when
submitting a message, something you would do when doing email stuff on
a Wintel box or a Macintosh (I mean, one running MacOS), where your
"mailer" software speaks POP[23] to receive messages and speaks SMTP
to send out messages.

I can't say exactly how you should change your /etc/sendmail.cf
because I don't have a NetBSD box running in front of me, but
generally speaking, you have to add a macro definition for M:

DMcris.com

and then, you have to change the rule set for local names (somthing
like this; may not match your /etc/sendmail.cf):

*** 470,480 ****
  S96

  # handle special cases for local names
! R$* < @ localhost > $*		$: $1 < @ $j . > $2		no domain at all
! R$* < @ localhost . $m > $*	$: $1 < @ $j . > $2		local domain
! R$* < @ localhost . UUCP > $*	$: $1 < @ $j . > $2		.UUCP domain
  R$* < @ [ $+ ] > $*		$: $1 < @@ [ $2 ] > $3		mark [a.b.c.d]
! R$* < @@ $=w > $*		$: $1 < @ $j . > $3		self-literal
  R$* < @@ $+ > $*		$@ $1 < @ $2 > $3		canon IP addr

  # look up domains in the domain table
--- 471,483 ----

! R$* < @ $w > $*			$: $1 < @ $M . > $2
! R$* < @ $w . $* > $*		$: $1 < @ $M . > $3
! R$* < @ localhost > $*		$: $1 < @ $M . > $2		no domain at all
! R$* < @ localhost . $m > $*	$: $1 < @ $M . > $2		local domain
! R$* < @ localhost . UUCP > $*	$: $1 < @ $M . > $2		.UUCP domain
! R$* < @@ $=w > $*		$: $1 < @ $M . > $3		self-literal
  R$* < @@ $+ > $*		$@ $1 < @ $2 > $3		canon IP addr

  # look up domains in the domain table

Here you expand all occurence of "@localhost" or your localname
("@myhost.my.domain"?) to your Masqueraded hostname (the M macro),
instead of to the FQDN that your box thinks is.

I'm doing it on this FreeBSD (may be overwritten by NetBSD/i386 soon)
notebook as of writing, and it works.

Ken