Subject: Re: xconsole not working...
To: Dave Huang <khym@bga.com>
From: Bob Nestor <rnestor@metronet.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/27/1997 18:23:52
>Oh yeah, I noticed xconsole not working too... or at least it doesn't
>work as non-root. I have options UCONSOLE in my kernel config, and
>according to options(4), it's supposed to allow anyone to grab the
>console output, not just root. So why do I have to su before running
>xconsole (or xterm -c)? It works properly on my NetBSD/i386 system, but
>not on the mac68k.

I *think* that part of the problem relates to the /etc/syslog.conf
settings and how you start X.  If syslog.conf directs messages to user
"root" and you start X manually by first loging into root, you'll get
messages plastered on the bottom of the physical screen and will as any
xterm window.  I believe I fixed this on my system by changing the
syslog.conf parameters. If you have your system configured to
automatically start X on boot, then I don't think you'll see the messages
on the bottom of the physical screen since there's no user "root" running
on that screen, but you may get them in all your windows depending on the
syslog.conf setup.  I don't think I was ever able to get the "-c" option
to work, but when I was first setting this up it was on a 1.0-ish system.

-bob