Subject: Re: HELP! LCP: Timeout sending Config-Requests
To: Steven Huwig <S_Huwig@dukes.stark.k12.oh.us>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/27/1997 14:26:19

> Seeing my continuous mail about PPP is probably getting rather annoying,
> but I've been yanking my hair out for the last hour about this. I have
> prepared a PPP script to hook me in to a Cisco router, and as far as
> connection goes, I suppose it works (i.e., it says Connect ppp0 <==>
> /dev/tty00). However, after a wait, I get the message LCP: timeout sending
> Config Requests. AAARGH. I have tried *every* option mentioned in the pppd
> manpages that seems relevant, and every time, the same message returns.
> Under MacOS, I have no problem connecting with FreePPP; it doesn't even
> need a connect script. So why doesn't pppd work?

I'd recomend against trying options willy-nilly. Modify /etc/syslogd.conf
to catch all the messages (add a local2.* /var/log/ppp_messages line or
something like that). Turn on all the debugging options. You can turn on
options in ppp which will dump ALL the characters which go back and
forth. Then watch them and see where things start to look different from
the script you've been given.

Take care,

Bill