Subject: Re: NetBSD on Mac II
To: Mathias Voell <voell@stud.uni-hannover.de>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/27/1997 14:12:39
> Oops - unfortunately I don't think that I will get a better one for free.
> Maybe I should try to get an accelarator card, they won't be expensive
> now? Otherwise I will have to make some space on the HD of my Performa
> 630, but then I'm reading that the LC040 is not a very good friend of
> NetBSD.

True, but the 040 support should be coming soon. Probably in a month
or two time line (though since I'm not fixing it, I can't really
say).

> >If they are getting rid of computers, steal some from a different dead
> >computer!
>
> I am ready to do anything for my Mac ;-)
> but none of the old computers has more than 5MB (4x1MB plus 4x256KB).

Yes, but if you take two computers with 5 MB, and swap a bank of 256KB for
for a bank of 1MB, you have a computer with 8MB. :-) That will work. I
have 9 MB in my IIsi at home. And you just don't worry about the
computer that ends up with 2 MB memory.

> Adding more RAM, new HD etc to the Mac II propably will be more expensive
> than buying another old but better Mac. Which one/s would be really okay
> for running AND enjoying NetBSD?

IIsi's seem fine. Though if you have an LC 040 machine, maybe just
get the II going w/ 8MB ram and a PMMU, then switch to the LC040 when
the fix goes in.

Any SCSI disk you add certainly can be moved to another computer later.
Plus, if you can aquire two of these things, put both drives in one.

Oh, you don't have to upgrade the floppy drive for NetBSD to work on
a II.

Also, if you do add 4 MB SIMMS, you can only add one bank worth, and it
must be bank B (and bank A needs 4 1 MB SIMMs in it).

Take care,

Bill