Subject: Re: lkm.conf for video-
To: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/27/1997 13:22:30
The symbol redefined messages means that the lkm is trying to define a
symbol that already exists in the kernel.  modload uses ld to "pre-link"
the lkm with the kernel symbol table (apparently from file /netbsd, rather
than from the symbol table that was preserved during boot).

Either the lkm is being loaded twice, or you're trying to modload it when
you're booted from some kernel other than /netbsd or your kernel already
contains one or more of those symbols already.

On Thu, 27 Feb 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> > >BTW, that LKM will not compile with -current sources. You need to
> > >#include <mac68k/include/bus.h> before nubus.h and change
> > >NUBUS_SLOT_TO_PADDR to NUBUS_SLOT2PA in video_lkm_module.c
> > >(Why the name was changed in nubus.h????)
> > >
> > >	Taras.
> >
> > But the lkm will run with -current sources as of just a few days ago! It is
> > tres cool to be able to run color with a -current kernel.
>
> I noticed the compile problem the other day, but I managed to figure out
> the necessary fix and get it to work just fine.
>
> However, I cannot get the module to load at all.  Every time I pull it
> up, it gives me a long string of:
>
> _mrg(some symbol name here) redefined
>
> followed by a message that it was unable to prelink video_lkm_module.o
>
> I believe that my settings in /etc/lkm.conf are similar to those that
> Paul and Taras mentioned.  I'll try to get a proper listing of the errors
> if you want.
>
> Does anyone know what causes this???
>
> Later.
>
> --
> Colin Wood                                      ender@is.rice.edu
> Consultant                                        Rice University
> Information Technology Services                       Houston, TX

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:      |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@pgoyette.bdt.com |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com  |