Subject: Re: how to use modem port
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Eric Sharakan - SMCC High Performance Computing <sharakan@icarus-tm.East.Sun.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/27/1997 13:16:04
>  From sharakan@icarus-tm Wed Feb 26 14:46:33 1997
>  From: Eric Sharakan - SMCC High Performance Computing <sharakan@icarus-tm>
>  To: wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu
>  CC: port-mac68k@netbsd.org
>  Subject: Re: how to use modem port
>
>     From: wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu (Bill Studenmund)
>     Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 09:10:50 -0800 (PST)
>     Cc: port-mac68k@netbsd.org
>
>     Both Paul Goyette and I have ppp kits in our home directories
>     (private/wrstuden and private/pgoyette), and someone else has a ppp
>     page. I'd suggest just taking the plunge and going directly to ppp.
>
>  Yep, I've actually already started to do this.  I downloaded your
>  package and set it up, but it seems no matter what I do, pppd core
>  dumps with an illegal instruction (even if I just run it directly,
>  with or without any args).  I even tried moving /etc/ppp/ out of the
>  way, just in case something in there was the culprit.  No dice.

Well, I don't know what happened, but once I rebooted, the core dumps stopped,
and everything started working!  Yea!  This kit was a big help!

Is there any way to have ppp query me interactively for account info
(username/password)?  I have some qualms about leaving passwords in script
files.  I also might be switching to an ISP that utilizes dynamic passwords.

-Eric