Subject: NetBSD on Mac II
To: NetBSD port-mac68k <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Mathias Voell <voell@stud.uni-hannover.de>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/27/1997 01:17:21
Hi

Help, please (I'm new to this list)! The NetBSD web sites and FAQs are
great, lot of information on many things, too much for the beginning..
I'm lost!

A week ago I got a Mac II for free. My faculty has dropped its old
computers to buy lot's of Pentium 133Mhz. They can be booted with Win95
or Linux. Though working on my Performa 630 is quite comfortable, I
really enjoy working with unix-like systems, which I have discovered
recently. And because I don't want to stay the whole day at the
university it would be great to have a unix-like system at home.

I have a Mac II with 5MB RAM and a 40MB hard disc, 256 colours 14"
monitor, no PMMU and no floppy at all (I had to remove the broken 800K
drive... I've  got it for free..). I know that I have to buy more RAM, a
new HD and the SuperDrive Extension kit with PMMU.

In the beginning I would like to have it at home to get used to NetBSD, I
don't have a lot of experience with unix-like systems yet. Later I am
planning to take it back to university, connect it to our ethernet and
use it as a WWW and mail server (maybe ftp) for a student association
which is eating up most of my spare time.

Questions:

- Shall I try to get another Mac or is the Mac II okay for what I want to
do with it?
- How much RAM etc do I have to buy (will get some money from the
association)?
- Which 68030 or 68040 accelarator cards are supported/ will work?
- Will it run in monochrome only or how many colours are supported?

Could someone help me or tell me where to find answers? (And I will wade
once again through the FAQs).

Thanks a lot,

 Mathias Voell
 landscape architecture student at Hanover University/Germany

Mathias Voell                          ELASA WWW Info Centre
voell@stud.uni-hannover.de                        Web Editor

EUROPEAN LANDSCAPE ARCHITECTURE STUDENTS ASSOCIATION (ELASA)
       http://www.stud.uni-hannover.de/~voell/elasa/