Subject: Re: netatalk
To: William R. Dickson <wrd@awenet.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/26/1997 20:27:34

> It took a little time on my 8 meg Mac IIx, but the netatalk installation
> went smoothly and I've got it doing filesharing like a champ.  No problems
> so far.  I do have a couple questions about its capabilities:
>
> 1) CAP seems to have a means of tunnelling AppleTalk through IP, so that
>    you can sort of bridge two AppleTalk networks together over the
>    Internet.  Is this possible in netatalk?

Since I'm on the other end of one such connection, I am very interested
in adding this ability. But a few things need to happen first. 1)
Netatalk needs to get in the kernel (I need to finish one thing before
moving on!), 2) the tun tunnel driver needs to be modified to deal
with non-IP address families. Oh, and 3) the few items on top of it on
the to-do need to be done. :-)

> 2) Would it be possible for a dialup user connecting to the unix box from
>    a Mac via PPP to mount his home directory as an AppleShare volume?
>    Perhaps through the use of a Apple Remote Access?

Not yet. Maybe when OT/PPP gets fully documented. There are a lot of
other folks interested in this too. Though there's an RFC for AppleTalk
over ppp, it doesn't deal w/ some important issues, like keeping
RTMP and ZIP transfers cached on each end and only sending updates.

Take care,

Bill