Subject: Re: how to use modem port
To: None <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Eric Sharakan - SMCC High Performance Computing <sharakan@icarus-tm.East.Sun.COM>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/26/1997 14:46:30
   From: wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu (Bill Studenmund)
   Date: Wed, 26 Feb 1997 09:10:50 -0800 (PST)
   Cc: port-mac68k@netbsd.org

   > Eventually, I'll want to set up a PPP connection with my ISP.  In the
   > meantime, I'd like to at least be able to establish a basic terminal
   > connection.
   >
   > I've perused the FAQs at macbsd.com and netbsd.org, but couldn't find
   > anything helpful.  Anyone have any ideas?

   Both Paul Goyette and I have ppp kits in our home directories
   (private/wrstuden and private/pgoyette), and someone else has a ppp
   page. I'd suggest just taking the plunge and going directly to ppp.

Yep, I've actually already started to do this.  I downloaded your
package and set it up, but it seems no matter what I do, pppd core
dumps with an illegal instruction (even if I just run it directly,
with or without any args).  I even tried moving /etc/ppp/ out of the
way, just in case something in there was the culprit.  No dice.

I've only installed the bare minimum I need to get a running system
(I'm waiting for a larger disk drive to be delivered), so was unable
to find/download a debugger with which I could look at the core dump.
In fact, I'm wondering whether my lack of disk space (only 23KB
available) and/or swap space (I have 10MB swap configured, with 20MB
real memory, but only the standard daemons running) might be the
problem?

-Eric