Subject: Re: how to use modem port
To: None <eric.sharakan@east.sun.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/26/1997 09:10:50

> I just installed NetBSD 1.2 on my IIci (and just joined this mailing
> list), and it seems to basically work.  However, I am having trouble
> trying to talk to my modem.  If I try tip or cu to the /dev/tty00
> device, I get either "link down" (tip) or "write error" (cu).  I know
> I must be close, since the DTR light on my modem comes on when I
> invoke either program.  Tip will die of its own accord after a few
> seconds; cu complains as soon as I type a single character.

tip has generally worked for me. I've rarely gotten cu happy. The problem
is that they don't set clocal, so ty can't talk to the modem before someone
dials in.

> Eventually, I'll want to set up a PPP connection with my ISP.  In the
> meantime, I'd like to at least be able to establish a basic terminal
> connection.
>
> I've perused the FAQs at macbsd.com and netbsd.org, but couldn't find
> anything helpful.  Anyone have any ideas?

Both Paul Goyette and I have ppp kits in our home directories (private/wrstuden
and private/pgoyette), and someone else has a ppp page. I'd suggest
just taking the plunge and going directly to ppp.

I have it working w/o problem (except when PacBell hoses the phone line).

Take care,

Bill