Subject: Re: Q950 Internal Ethernet, CAP, Internal Video
To: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
From: Jonathan Lennox <lennox@cs.columbia.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/25/1997 23:16:21
On Tue, February 25 1997, "Bill Studenmund" wrote to "Kyle McKay, port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG" saying:

> > 3) I would prefer not to have to use a serial console, what's the state of
> >    ADB and internal video/nubus video for the Q950?
>
> Not too good. The 950 uses the same IOP's as did the IIfx. We don't support
> them as Apple didn't document them. :-(

Internal video works fine on the 950, at least for the text console -- I've
booted NetBSD from both my internal video and my nubus video on numerous
occasions, without any troubles (except that for some reason it didn't clear
and use the bottom 50 or so pixels of my 1024x768 screen, but that's a
cosmetic glitch.)

Unfortunately, however...

Not only does ADB not work on the Q950, neither do the serial ports, since
on the Q950 they *also* go through the IOPs.  So unless either the internal
Ethernet works (I have no idea, I don't have ethernet at home) or someone's
written a driver for one of the NuBus serial boards, there's currently no
way to input any data into a 950.

I was working for a while on trying to figure out the IOPs, dis-assembling
the Mac ROMs to try to get the Mac ROM Glue hooks enabled for the ADB IOP at
least, but I didn't get very far.  Hopefully I'll have a chance to get back
to it sometime soon, but I've been pretty busy, so don't hold your breath
too tightly.

--
Jonathan Lennox
lennox@cs.columbia.edu