Subject: Re: Q950 Internal Ethernet, CAP, Internal Video
To: Kyle McKay <Kyle_McKay@intuit.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/25/1997 19:00:17

> I am currently running a web server, appleshare server, & SMTP/POP mail server
> on a Quadra 950 w/ MacOS 7.5.5.
>
> I would very much like to switch it over to NetBSD.  I could live with a serial
> console if I have to, but have the following questions:
>
> 1) Is there any working driver for the Quadra 950 internal ethernet port?
>    (Alpha, Beta, whatever)
>
> 2) CAP (Columbia Appletalk Protocol) was the software I used last time I brought
>    up a Un*x box as an appleshare server several years ago.  Whatever happened
>    to it, does it work with NetBSD, or is that what netatalk does now?

Cap still lives, and I've compiled it under NetBSD. Just have it auto
configure, and you'll be fine. Oh, it will define something like
__386BSD__, which is alarming at first. But it seems to work fine..

> 3) I would prefer not to have to use a serial console, what's the state of
>    ADB and internal video/nubus video for the Q950?

Not too good. The 950 uses the same IOP's as did the IIfx. We don't support
them as Apple didn't document them. :-(

Take care,

Bill