Subject: Re: Read/write only:still having problems
To: Jonathan Lyons <lelsoft1@usa.nai.net>
From: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/25/1997 18:44:09
On Tue, 25 Feb 1997, Jonathan Lyons wrote:

> because of the constant crashing of the installer on the Powerbook, I
> took the external HD(the one I boot from) and hooked it up to me Q605,
> installed NetBSD there and built devices there.
>
> I thought this was the problem, so on the Powerbook, (whose Installer was
> only having trouble installing, not building devices and using the
> mini-shell) I opened the installer, removed the faulty Fstab, and built
> devices. It didn't take me long(when I booted again, and switched to
> multi-user mode) that the same problem was occuring when trying to mount
> read-only. I continue to get this mssage: ufs: /dev/sd0a/:specified device
> does not match mounted device
>
> This indicated to me that I was indeed using a faulty Installer(the idea
> which so stubbornly and lazily refused before, because I was using 1.1a and
> not 1.1c which I thought was the real faulty installer).

Try using the mini-shell to cpout the file, then cpin the file afterwards.
Use bbedit lite or something to handle the unix linefeeds.  Basically,
replace every reference to sd0x with sd1x (where x is any letter) and
things should work.

Later,

|David A. Gatwood             And Richard Cory, one calm summer night,  |
|davagatw@mars.utm.edu      Went home and put a bullet through his head.|
|dgatwood@globegate.utm.edu          --Edwin Arlington Robinson         |
|http://globegate.utm.edu                  http://www.utm.edu/~davagatw |
|http://mars.utm.edu/~davagatw             http://www.nyx.net/~dgatwood |