Subject: Re: NetBSD/mac68k kernel without nubus ?
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Michael R. Zucca <mrz5149@cs.rit.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/25/1997 11:16:28
>My question is: Is it (or rather: should it be) possible to install and
>use a NetBSD/mac68k-current kernel without the nubus entry in the kernel
>configuration file.

I suppose but there are some reservations about such a setup.

>My first answer is: yes! I have a Q610 running NetBSD without a NuBus (it
>requires an adapter card to convert the PDS slot into a NuBus slot if
>needed).
>
>The second thought is: Is the nubus entry really needed anyway? I ask this
>question because sometimes the kernel uses a fictive "pseudo-nubus" slot
>and its address space for e.g. internal video. The answer to this question
>may go beyond my experiment described in the next paragraph...

Well, two things. First, even though you don't have a "nubus slot" you still
have a portion of the physical address space set aside for use by the potential
nubus slot. A kernel that doesn't use the nubus code should at least know
where the nubus slots are and not try to map them in. So you'll need at
least a little bit of code to figure out where the slots are.

Second, there may be the possibility that when I write the internal video
drivers I might use some code from nubus.c to check the machine's
built-in ROMs so that I can identify the type of internal video in the machine.

>I have been running with this patch for the last couple of days, and it
>does not seem to hurt anything.

You can never be sure. I think that the IIsi/IIci need that code to work
for their internal video to work.

My question is: What's the point? The nubus.c code adds maybe 10k of extra
code to the kernel if you're not using it. Are you that memory hungry? :)

 Michael Zucca - mrz5149@rit.cs.rit.edu - http://www.rit.edu/~mrz5149/
 "I will choose a path that's clear. I will choose Freewill. "
  --Rush, Freewill