Subject: unable to set root passwd
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: None <a.fowler@ic.ac.uk>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/25/1997 09:08:49
This is probably another of my difficult
"How the hell can you fix this!" problems, still here goes

I can't seem to chage the master.passwd file using the system calls.
but I can edit the master.passwd file directly.

Problem this meens that I can't set any passwdord on my system, or add a user
using vipw.

I can vipw, and after editing :w writes the /etc/ptmp file, but on :q it
asks me if I want to edit the passwd file again,
If i say no, it responds with the message:

vipw: /etc/master.passwd unchanged

same when I type passwd and enter a passwd twice, it exits with

passwd: /etc/master.passwd unchanged.

Any Ideas?

I also get more trying to more a directory file which looks WIERD!
It prints a whole lot of control characters instead of saying
more: foobar is a directory	, or similar.

I suspected a corrupted filesystem, but fsck didn't mpick anything up when
I ran fsck -a -t.

Any ideas? I'm running from a serial console, defined as secure
and multi and single user makes no difference.

I've got a 1.2 binary distribution with a GENERIC#22 Kernal called netbsd
but the problem's only recently started. It worked before!

	Thanks for your patience list! Great to have you guys there!