Subject: `ae' driver change
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Scott Reynolds <scottr@og.org>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/25/1997 00:17:09
I've recently undertaken an effort to clean up the `ae' Ethernet driver,
splitting the NuBus attachment code out from the driver proper, and
hopefully making it a little more reliable and easier to maintain.  In the
process, however, I'm changing the code to make an assumption:  the
Ethernet MAC address for the card is stored at the location pointed to by
resource ID 0x80 in the card's functional resource, also ID 0x80.  The
idea for this came from Ken Nakata's Kinetics EtherPort SE/30 support, and
it looks like the two cards that I have both have the same resources
defined.  Having said that, though, -don't blame Ken-.  If it breaks, it's
entirely my fault.

If it's any consolation, you can compile a kernel with
`options AE_OLD_GET_ENADDR' to get back the old behavior.  You need only
to recompile if_ae_nubus.o in your kernel compile directory for this
change to take effect.

I'd be interested to hear of any success or failure reports.  (Make sure
you Cc: me on any replies to the list; it's difficult to wade through all
that traffic on port-mac68k!)

Thanks,

--scott