Subject: Re: installing X - round 2
To: None <roark@bulloch.com>
From: Masami and Ken Nakata <masami@fa2.so-net.or.jp>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/25/1997 08:13:45
On Sun, 23 Feb 1997 11:10:10 -0500,
Michael Roark <roark@bulloch.com> wrote:

> I added the lines from the faq to the rc and rc.local (speaking of, does it
> matter where in the file you put it?). I put ldconfig -m /usr/X11R6/lib into
> the rc.local and, as suggested by Mike, added /usr/X11R6/bin to my .cshrc
> (same question about  where applicable).

It depends on what and to what you are adding.  As for these things,
it doesn't matter much.  I suggest you read some beginner's books on
UNIX in general.

> After all of that, I type startx and get a white screen with the following
> message at the bottom of the screen (oh, and I do have my screen set for
> 1-bit, no real choice really):
>
> screen 0 at 0x41ad040, 512 by 342, rowB 64, fbbase 0x7801040

Are you using an SE/30?  If so, this is a known problem with the grf
(which stands for GRaFics) driver.  The latest GENERIC*-23 kernels
from ftp://ftp.NetBSD.ORG/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/kernels may help with
this situation.  If they don't, get and install the "colorkit" X
server which works around the grf driver bug from
ftp://ftp.macbsd.com/pub/NetBSD/X/colorkit/ directory.

Ken