Subject: Re: ring overrun
To: Brian Andresen <btandresen@ucdavis.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/24/1997 09:20:14
> > What version of NetBSD are you using?
>
> Sorry, I should have thought to provide the basic info the first time
> around.  I'm using the plain ol' 1.2 formal distribution, no fun
> varieties of different kernels or anything like that.

Should be fine. We've not really changed the serial ports since then (though
I do have a new version which I hope will go in soon). Scott has made some
changes which should reduce the occurance of ring overruns, though.

> > > I'm curious as to what "ring overrun" means, and what its consequences
> > > are.  Does it mean that the OS has overflowed the modem's buffer, or
> >
> > No. That means that you have something slow in your system. The ring
>
> Hmm.  So is this message "normal" or an indication of a problem?

It's not good, and it's not super evil. It does mean you are losing data.
what else is running on your system?

Take care,

Bill