Subject: Re: SE/30 swap problems
To: Jason Wright <peewee@overmind.scc.mi.org>
From: Paul Goyette <paul@pgoyette.bdt.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/24/1997 06:23:07
If you're using a GENERIC kernel, you'll only be able to swap to the sdxb
partition on the same drive as your root partition.  In order to swap to
other partitions, or to multiple partitions, you'll need to build yourself
a customized kernel, and specify all potential swap locations in the
config statement.

I believe that there's work under way to change this, but it has not yet
seen the light of day.

On Mon, 24 Feb 1997, Jason Wright wrote:

> Howdy...
>
> I am trying to install 1.2 onto my SE/30, using the internal 40meg disk and an
> external 80meg.  The internal disk has a 5meg HFS partition and my 35meg /
> partition while the 80meg disk has my 62meg /usr partition and an 18meg swap
> partition.  I have '/dev/sd1b	none	swap	sw 0 0' in my /etc/fstab and
> 'disklabel' in the minishell shows /dev/sd1b to be a swap partition, but I get
>
> swapon: /dev/sdb1: device not configured
>
> on bootup.
>
> When I did a minimal install to just the 80meg drive, I did not have this
> problem, I only get it when I try to install using both disks and put the swap
> partition on the external drive.
>
> Ideas?
>
> Thanks in advance...
>
> PeeWee
>
> --
> "oh, do be a dear and shut up, won't you???  you see, if you close your mouth,
> *less words will come out*"  -Azrael Asmodeus http://www.scc.mi.org/index.html
> work: jwright@netrex.com personal: peewee@scc.mi.org pgp2.6.2 public key avail

| Paul Goyette       | PGP Public Key fingerprint:  | E-mail addresses:      |
| Network Consultant |     0E 40 D2 FC 2A 13 74 A0  |  paul@pgoyette.bdt.com |
| and kernel hacker  |     E4 69 D5 BE 65 E4 56 C6  |  paul_goyette@ins.com  |