Subject: Re: ppp setups
To: Russell Cotton <rcotton@tenet.edu>
From: Mark Andres <mark@ratbert.giganet.net>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/24/1997 10:01:58
Hi,

AFAIK, SLiRP (like TIA) is used to establish SLIP connections, not PPP
connections.  To use pppd, you need to have a ppp connection.  My guess is
that in the MacOS side, when you are connecting, you are really
establishing a SLIP connection.

I have not used the NetBSD SLIP, but that is what I would try.  Look
around in the /etc directory and there should be some kind of slip files.

Mark

On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Russell Cotton wrote:
> I am running NetBSD on my LC II and would like to make a PPP connection
> to my UNIX shell account (dialup). I can already do this in MacOS using
> SLiRP on the UNIX side, but I can't seem to configure NetBSD to connect
> right.
>
> I pretty much have a standard install (ie: new and not customized, yet).
> I have tried pppd, but I get a connect script failed error. I am trying
> to use chat as the connect scriptor and I can't get it to dial or
> anything. I have also tried dialing with dip, exitting, and running pppd
> without a connect script, just the crtscts, defaultroute,
> <local.ip.address:remote.ip.address> options.
>
> I don't care what my local address is, slirp tells me to use 10.0.2.15 as
> my local address, and the remote host is 198.213.2.9.
>
> Can anyone tell me how I can get this to work?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Joseph Cotton
> rcotton@tenet.edu

Mark Andres                                       Head, Support Dept.
              GIGANET by Business Network Telecom (BNT)
E-mail: mark@giganet.net  URL: http://www2.giganet.net/private/users/mark/