Subject: Re: Arrgh! make.....
To: Colin Wood , Allen Briggs <briggs@puma.macbsd.com>
From: Macintosh Guru <gevans@televar.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/23/1997 13:44:40
On Sun, 23 Feb 1997, Colin Wood wrote:

> Date: Sun, 23 Feb 1997 15:00:22 -0600 (CST)
> From: Colin Wood <ender@is.rice.edu>
> To: Macintosh Guru <gevans@televar.com>
> Cc: port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG
> Subject: Re: Arrgh!  make.....
>
> > When I try to use the Installme file for AfterStep-1.0pre1 it always tells
> > me something like cc1: not directory.
> >
> > I cannot figure out what this means being as new to all this as I am.  The
> > same thing happens when I try to install dt.
>
> Could you please give us the _precise_ error message?  It might help a
> little bit.
>
> The only thing that I can think of right at the moment, though, is that
> you didn't install the comp distribution, so you have no compiler at the
> moment.  Is this the case?
>
> Later.

Apologies to everyone for being so inclomplete :).  Here is the exact
error message:

cc: installation problems, cannot exec 'cc1': not a directory

After reading Allen's message on the idea that maybe I had not installed
comp, I reinstalled it just to make sure, and tried the entire thing
again.  AfterStep has to be installed as root, so I of course logged in as
root and cd'd to the directory that the AfterStep install is located
(/root/incoming/AfterStep-1.-pre2)

once there, I executed the Installme file
(/root/incoming/AfterStep-1.0pre2/Installme)

and it goes through and acts like it is installing (I know I should have
wrote this part down as well.......crap) and then about halfway through I
get the error noted above.

Thanks,

-Greg Evans (macintosh-guru@televar.com)