Subject: Re: MacBSD and Quadra 840av
To: M. Lamoureaux <c675919@showme.missouri.edu>
From: Nigel Pearson <nigel@ind.tansu.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/22/1997 21:02:29

> Hi there,
>
> I am trying to install NetBSD on my Quadra 80av, and I came across your
> email address in the MacBSD user survey.
>
> Can you fill me in on how you got MacBSD working on your system? Was it
> very difficult?

	The main thing was waiting for a kernel which supported the Quadra's
internal SCSI. The generic 1.2 distribution kernel will not do the trick.
You need a later custom kernel.

> I tried to do an install today, and I got the following error after
> running the booter:
>
> Argh!! No boot device???? Only supports DISK device for booting
> Changing root device to a+
> panic: cannot mount root

	This is probably because the kernel could not configure a SCSI device
driver, which prevented the rest of Unix (apart from the kernel, which was
loaded by the Booter program) from progressing.

	Try installing a later kernel, like:

ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/arch/mac68k/kernels/GENERIC-22

	over the files you have already installed, and make sure that you do
a "Make Devices" in the Installer. If that still doesn't work, send me the
boot information and we can go from there.

--
| Nigel Pearson, nigel@ind.tansu.com.au |"so we came up with a golden rule   |
|  Telstra IN Platforms, Sydney, Aust.  | whatever works for you             |