Subject: Re: tar & timezones
To: T. Sean <71410.25@compuserve.com>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/21/1997 17:29:55

> Two questions:
>
> 1)  Why, when I type, "tar -x /usr/local/bin/bash-2.0.tar", do I get
> "tar: can't open /dev/rst0 :No such file or directory"?  I have even
> tried to do a "./MAKEDEV rst0", but it won't make the device, and I can't
> untar the archive.l

Because tar, by default, tries to access the tape drive. The 't' in tar
stands for tape. :-)

Try "tar -x -f /usr/local/bin/bash-2.0.tar" to extract from the
/usr/local/bin/bash-2.0.tar file. Oh, I'd recomend a tar -t first,
to see what's in the archive.

> 2)  In the FAQ, it says to first "rm /etc/localtime"  before sending a
> "ln -s /usr/share/zoneinfo/myzone /etc/localtime".  Why not just command,
> "ln -fs /usr/share/zoneinfo/myzone /etc/localtime"?  The "-f" flag
> dissolves the previous link.  Is this a guru thing?

AFAIK, the thing is the "-f" will try to unlink whatever the existing
name points to. With a symlink, this refers to the thing the existing
link points to, not the link.

Take care,

Bill