Subject: Re: installing on a jaz disk
To: B. Alex King III <king@sunphy1.phy.uic.edu>
From: Bill Studenmund <wrstuden@loki.stanford.edu>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/21/1997 09:24:26

> I have worked out a disk geometry for jaz disks that I based on the
> SunOS/Solaris Unix tech info on the Iomega web page.  I haven't tried it
> yet, but in some ways it seems more sensible to me than the one
> previously posted.
>
> 	(# heads	64)
> 	sector size	512
> 	block size	512
> 	bytes/sector	512

Those you can't really change. They look good.

> 	sect./track	32
> 	tracks/cyl.	1
> 	# cylinders	1018

I'm not sure if these #'s are right. This is for a 1 GB Jaz, isn't it?
The number of bytes on the disk is sector size * sect./track * tracks/cyl
* # cyl. For this geometry, that number comes out as 512*32*1*1018,
which is more like 16 MB, to 1GB.

With the usual definitions, # heads == tracks/cyl. So try tracks/cyl ==
64.

With SCSI Disks, the geometry really doesn't matter. So just go for
(sect/track, track/cyl) = (32, 64) (I.E. one of the two is 32, the other
is 64) and things should go well. N.B. You then get 1 MB cylinders.

> 	bytes/inode	2048
> 	cyl./group	1
>
> (The bytes/inode may be high but it's just a guess).  Does anyone know of
> any reason that this wouldn't work with MacBSD?  Thanks!:-)

2k per inode is the default, and seems ok unless you're making a news
server (lots of little files).

Take care,

Bill