Subject: Re: MacBSD on Mac II with Daystar 040
To: Nicholas Coult <Nicholas.Coult@Colorado.EDU>
From: Paul Ripke <weripp@itwol.bhp.com.au>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/20/1997 11:25:07
Nicholas Coult wrote:

> I've got a friend who has a Mac II with a Daystar 040 accelerator card.
<snip>
> Is there any info in the stuff the spews across the monitor that
> can help us understand what is going wrong?  Has anybody else
> used MacBSD with an 040-accelerated Mac II?

I don't know if this is entirely relevent, but I've been trying to
get my IIsi running with its DayStar 040 for a while - I'm having
serious problems at the MMU initialization stage, so it sounds like
your friends getting much further in the boot than me. The best kernel
I have tried was GENERIC-18, with Scott Reynolds 040 MMU changes. These
changes have been removed from the more recent kernels to the best of
my knowledge - 3 weeks annual leave have left me slightly out-of-touch.

I think it's a IIsi quirk, but even System 7.5.5 virtual memory doesn't
work - I'll definitely query DayStar on that problem.

--
Paul Ripke
BHP Information Technology