Subject: MacBSD on Mac II with Daystar 040
To: None <port-mac68k@NetBSD.ORG>
From: Nicholas Coult <Nicholas.Coult@Colorado.EDU>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/19/1997 10:26:14
I've got a friend who has a Mac II with a Daystar 040 accelerator card.
He has a zip drive, so I made up a bootable MacBSD zip disk which boots
on my machine (Centris 610) and on a IIcx here at work.  But, he can't
get it to boot fully on his machine.

Here are the details:
GENERIC-9 kernel.
Monitor set to 1-bit.
Cache on Daystar card turned off.
All extensions except MODE32 and the Memory Control Panel off.
Full 68040 on the card.

It boots partially, but whether he boots in single-user or not,  it
does not seem to execute /etc/rc and instead reaches the point
(as if in single-user mode) where it asks for the path to the shell.
Regardless of what he types at this point, the drive blinks, and then
the machine hangs.

He's tried all the possible permutations with the Daystar card and its cache,
short of removing it and installing the original 68020 (not an
acceptable option).  The behavior is identical regardless of what
the particular configuration with the card is.

Is there any info in the stuff the spews across the monitor that
can help us understand what is going wrong?  Has anybody else
used MacBSD with an 040-accelerated Mac II?

Department of Applied Math | Nicholas.Coult@Colorado.Edu |(303) 492-4543(voice)
University of Colorado     |        WWW Home Page        |(303) 492-4066 (fax)
------- http://amath-www.colorado.edu/appm/student/coult/Home.html ------------