Subject: Re: UPS Backups (Correction)
To: The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] <davagatw@Mars.utm.edU>
From: John P. Wittkoski <jpw@netscape.com>
List: port-mac68k
Date: 02/18/1997 19:22:16
John P. Wittkoski wrote:

> The Great Mr. Kurtz [David A. Gatwood] wrote:
>
> > Questions:
> >
> > 1. What VA rating would you suggest to achieve that (the system's power
> > supply is rated at 3 amps max, no idea what the real drain is, though),
>
> This is from my fading EE knowledge, so it may be a little off.
> Anyone chime in if they have a better memory than this.

Oops, my memory was a little off. Although my explaination was
basically valid, I messed up on some of the math.

Here's a quick guide for calculating VA, after looking
more at the APS manual.

To convert watts -> VA, multiply times 1.4 (VA=1.4 * Watts)
To convert amps -> VA, multiple times 120 (VA=120 * Amps)

I guess this is because watts are usually specified in RMS
voltages, and amps are usually specified in peak voltages,
like Volt-Amps are, but it's just a guess on my part.

So in your example:
3 amp (max) system = approx. 360 VA

APS Model 1000 will provide approx. 350 VA for approx.
28 minutes.

Later,
	--John